My Boots n Me is your inspirational source for hundreds of day and weekend trips around Vancouver and British Columbia, Canada. For families and photographers British Columbia has something to offer everyone. Stop awhile and savor what Mother Nature has in store for you.
You will never be disappointed.

~~Karen Cooper~~

BC, Rain and Waterfalls

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Needles and the Lower Arrow Lake Ferry, BC



Continuing eastward along Highway 6
in British Columbia's Kootenay region,
you come to the Arrow Lakes district.
The Arrow Lakes are actually part
of the Columbia River.
Riding the ferry from Needles to Fauquier
across the Lower Arrow Lake,
you can see the
Monashee Mountains
on the west side and the Selkirk Mountains on the
east. Stunning actually.
Steeped in history, the area offers
up many tales and mysteries.
The cemetery is the only thing that is left of Needles.

The ferry has been operating since
1913 and the original was built by
local farmers using old car parts.
A map of the area
can be viewed here.
This cable ferry ride is free.

3 comments:

Dawn said...

I can't believe I have never heard of these places! And here I thought I knew British Columbia almost as well as my own province;)
Stunning - yes I am sure!
Love the names of places.

Unknown said...

Karen, you're getting into my old stomping grounds! It's pretty remote up around that area. But it certainly lovely country!

Karen Cooper said...

This is the first time I have visited this area, its incredibly beautiful and remote. Thanks Dawn and Robin, for your comments.