My Boots n Me is your inspirational source for hundreds of day and weekend trips around Vancouver and British Columbia, Canada. For families and photographers British Columbia has something to offer everyone. Stop awhile and savor what Mother Nature has in store for you.
You will never be disappointed.

~~Karen Cooper~~

BC, Rain and Waterfalls

Thursday, March 8, 2007

Stawamus Chief, Squamish, BC



The Stawamus Chief is located on highway 99 or the Sea to Sky highway, 52 kms from Vancouver. It is situated just south of the town of Squamish, but is highly visible before you reach the outskirts.

Serious rock climbers do the face. Good thing none of my outfits match the harness you have to wear to climb up this way. Colour coordination should be taken seriously I think.

So off I huff and puff on the trail head around the backside after reading the warning signs about this being a difficult hike not to be taken lightly, take warm clothes and supplies in case you get stuck overnight, and something really scary about the Search and Rescue team being available in case. Okay I get it. This is not going to be a nice leisurely stroll around your local pond. And it's not.

I read somewhere that people do this for a good workout before the morning Starbies and work. You have got to be kidding me. I stand in awe of those that run gazelle-like up this trail and back down again. Up is hard, down is not as hard. But both are strenuous.

I met some mountain bikers coming back down. They were carrying their bikes. How they figure you can ride a bike up a boulder strewn incline when you have to look really hard to find a place to put your feet, well it's beyond me. Incidentally, no one offered to carry me back down. Sad really.

I hear the view from the top is fabulous. Next time I will make the top. Maybe not gazelle-like, but plodding is okay with me. I'm not into fashion statements or beating anyones record for the most times climbed any grind in one day. I do enjoy the scenery along the way. This is an amazingly beautiful place. And well worth the time it takes to drive to Squamish from Vancover and take in the display Mother Nature has blessed us with. After that, anything else is a bonus.




0 comments: