My Boots n Me is your inspirational source for hundreds of day and weekend trips around Vancouver and British Columbia, Canada. For families and photographers British Columbia has something to offer everyone. Stop awhile and savor what Mother Nature has in store for you.
You will never be disappointed.

~~Karen Cooper~~

BC, Rain and Waterfalls

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Best Places to See in BC - Helmcken Falls


Helmcken Falls in Wells Gray Provincial Park
should be a Must-Go-To-And-Gape-At-Open-Mouthed
destination for anyone either living in BC
or visiting here.
Helmcken Falls is a 141 m (463 ft)
waterfall on the Murtle River, and
is the fourth largest waterfall in Canada.

I'd heard so much about the ice dome that forms
at the base of the falls during the cold winter months here
in British Columbia. Had to see it for myself.

You really have to see this in person to appreciate the
size of the falls, and the dome itself, which can reach over
150 ft high some winters if it's cold enough.
I estimated this years dome to be roughly 100 ft high.
The sound of the Murtle River dropping down into this
dome is like nothing I have ever heard before.
A deep muffled roar are the best words I can use to describe it.
Our language is so limited when it comes to
evoking what is really happening when you first
are hit the sound waves from the falls.

I was lucky enough to observe and photograph the falls over
2 days and 2 very different skies.

The first day I met some ice climbers just coming out
of the bowl. Now that would be a spectacular way to
see and photograph this amazing feat of
Mother Nature.
The initial drop over the rim must be ... stomach churning
and adrenaline rushing all rolled into one emotion.
Fear of heights is not an option.

I think I am hearing another adventure about to hatch.

1 comments:

Stephanie V said...

That's definitely worthy of a 'wow!'. Amazing place. Lucky you to spend time there.