My Boots n Me is your inspirational source for hundreds of day and weekend trips around Vancouver and British Columbia, Canada. For families and photographers British Columbia has something to offer everyone. Stop awhile and savor what Mother Nature has in store for you.
You will never be disappointed.

~~Karen Cooper~~

BC, Rain and Waterfalls

Sunday, April 13, 2008

Plants of Central America


Bougainvillea is such an odd name for such a beautiful plant. I never get tired of seeing all the various shades and colours of this flower in all its glorious settings. There are hotels and resorts borrowing its name to describe their properties. Understandably.

There are a lot of plants here that are used for medicinal purposes. Everything from a reported cure for cancer to treating skin conditions.

I've even discovered a whole branch of science I never knew existed. Ethnobotany, which studies the relationship between plants and cultures. When I look at the intricacies of life and its inter reactions, I feel humbled and proud all at the same time. And develop a hunger to know more about this incredible world we live in.

2 comments:

S-V-H said...

Yes, Bougainvilleas are beautiful plants with that so intensive reds!

We had in Key West a lot of bushes with in red, pink and white color blooming bougainvilleas.

Nice photo Karen.

Heather Dugan Creative / Footsteps said...

"Ethnobotany." New word and science for me, too...

I do love bougainvilleas (which are noticeable absent in my plant zone1)... Lovely photo!