My Boots n Me is your inspirational source for hundreds of day and weekend trips around Vancouver and British Columbia, Canada. For families and photographers British Columbia has something to offer everyone. Stop awhile and savor what Mother Nature has in store for you.
You will never be disappointed.

~~Karen Cooper~~

BC, Rain and Waterfalls

Thursday, November 15, 2007

Guadalupe Cathedral, Granada, Nicaragua


There are 6 magnificent cathedrals in Granada, Nicaragua. Huge, massive structures each with its own haunting elegance.

This is Guadalupe Cathedral, built in 1626. Honest. I don't kid about this history stuff. Frankly, I can't stretch my mind far enough back to imagine yesterday, much less over 300 years ago. So, being a wee bit older than most of us, I guess we can excuse Guadalupe for being a bit stained and worn. You should see me before morning coffee!

I can't find a lot written about Guadalupe. She was used by William Walker (the man who tried to be King of Nicaragua .. everyone has a dream!) in 1856 as his last stand in Granada. Nice digs for a last ditch effort at taking over a country. Didn't work out for Bill, though. He could have been a whole trilogy of psychology books unto himself.

What really intrigues me about these cathedrals is the more-than-just-rumor of an underground tunnel that connects all 6 of them. When you see the cathedrals from higher up, this makes sense as they are aligned in almost a straight line. Guadalupe is the one closest to the lake. During the time of pirates and the pillaging of Granada, it would be fortuitous to have a way for people and goods to escape.

I have spoken to a number of natives of Granada who have seen this tunnel in days gone by. Though any modern day trace seems to either have vanished or is blocked up. I have more research to do on this. I just can't let a good mystery go unsolved.

San Francisco Convent/Cathedral
la Merced Cathedral
The Cathedral
Xalteva Cathedral

4 comments:

Flowergirl said...

Great Information.. something I would want to know about cathedrals around the world !

Bob Johnson said...

Very interesting about the tunnels.

Anonymous said...

Your blog seems quite interesting... Great information..

I have subscribed..


--
Rentals 365

Alexander Santillanes said...

I love the perspective in that shot. -X