is Dawson Creek, Mile 0
of the Alaska Highway.
Named in honor after Dr. George Mercer Dawson,
Dawson Creek is also
known as the capital of the Peace River District.
The 16 foot tall iron statue of a surveyor was
created by Karl Mattson from scap metal
he found on nearby farms.
True in dress and equipment to surveryors
from the 1942 era, this surveyor
points north along the route of
the Alaska Highway.
The pioneer spirit of the North
is alive and well here in northwestern BC.