My Boots n Me is your inspirational source for hundreds of day and weekend trips around Vancouver and British Columbia, Canada. For families and photographers British Columbia has something to offer everyone. Stop awhile and savor what Mother Nature has in store for you.
You will never be disappointed.

~~Karen Cooper~~

BC, Rain and Waterfalls

Monday, August 4, 2008

How To Get Great Images



As I wander around the internet looking at various photographers images, I wonder how they get some of them. I mean, they seem to be taken at impossible angles or semi-submerged in camera-killing waters.

As I was trying to photograph this flowering thistle with Pitt Polder in the background, it struck me that maybe other people would like to see what actually goes into trying to get a shot.

You see, I don't always think its about the actual image. Its all about how you went about getting it. The "just get out there and do it" part of shots. I've never seen really fabulous images from anyone sitting in a armchair watching TV. I tried this shot lying on my back on a muddy bank amid thorns and other unclassified bits of nocturnal animal foragings. Best not to know.

I never did get a great shot, in my opinion, of this thistle with the polder in the background. But Mother Nature treated me to seeing a muskrat swimming around not far from here. And dragon flies that swooped around me like blue electricity bolts. And the haunting cry of an osprey looking for dinner.

So you see, its not always about the shot.

10 comments:

S-V-H said...

I like your post, Karen!

You are so right, sometimes you get more of the surroundings when you don't push that "click" button, when you open you eyes and your senses.

Karen Cooper said...

Thanks Susanne ... there is so much to live and learn from out there, its a never ending learning curve.

Anonymous said...

Nice post. Quite true! We fail to see what surrounds us sometimes that we miss it while focusing on a great shot.

DavesGotTheGun said...

all my photography has been self taught and I can still use a class or two, but its all about art and with art people like it and dont. But I do agree (LIKE ART) you need to have that cert ant talent and trait to keep getting those great images.

Karen Cooper said...

Thanks Mac and Dave ....the fun part in life is just getting there.

Unknown said...

I agree, still learning here. So much to try, it's almost never ending.

Keep going strong...love your pictures!

Karen Cooper said...

Thanks Akoni .. yes there is always another challenge or creative idea that "needs" exploring with a camera. That's what makes life so interesting!

Folding Ben said...

great shot!

Karen Cooper said...

Thanks Bike. I have been looking through you blog and love your concept and ideas. I will be following your adventures!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the advice. I struggle with walking around looking for that perfect picture.