My Boots n Me is your inspirational source for hundreds of day and weekend trips around Vancouver and British Columbia, Canada. For families and photographers British Columbia has something to offer everyone. Stop awhile and savor what Mother Nature has in store for you.
You will never be disappointed.

~~Karen Cooper~~

BC, Rain and Waterfalls

Thursday, July 10, 2008

Lost Gold Mines, PItt Lake, BC, Canada



Pitt Lake, B.C., Canada is one of the largest tidal lakes in the world. (The largest is Lake Baikal in Russia, thanks for the correction Jack!) You can't see all of Pitt Lake from the walks that have been built along the water. For the rest of the lake scenery, you need to do a boat trip.

I like going back to places I used to spend a lot of time at. Like visiting old friends that you feel very comfortable around, going back can sometimes be a very healing experience.

There are rumors of lost gold mines here at Pitt Lake. Stories of a man named Slumach and his fist sized nuggets of the yellow metal are abundant here. Slumach was hanged in 1891, taking his secrets with him.

I'm not sure if there is lost gold or not here. I do know that this spot is priceless in its beauty and embrace. To me, that's worth more than money can buy. It's like coming home to an old friend.

9 comments:

nobu said...

It is interesting.
I wish I could visit there some day.

Karen Cooper said...

Thanks Nobu -- Pitt Lake is one of my favorite places to photograph .. she just lets you take great shots of her!

Brenda said...

Beautiful photo! I checked out the Wikipedia link on Slumach ... several great stories there. I imagine there's probably a grain of truth in there somewhere, but I wouldn't give up my day job to search for that gold! ;)

Anonymous said...

Sometimes the stories make the place :) Nice photo.

Karen Cooper said...

Thanks Brenda and Viva ... I have as much fun researching the history and stories attached to places as doing the photos. There are so many amazing places that at first glance appear seemingly ordinary.

Heather Dugan Creative / Footsteps said...

Well-composed photo! And what a serene setting...

Karen Cooper said...

Thanks Heather, its a beautiful spot.

Anonymous said...

I've just found you thanks to your visit to me. What beautiful pictures, and interesting text. More please!

Karen Cooper said...

Thanks Louise. I have been visiting your site as well and am fascinated with Carmine.