My Boots n Me is your inspirational source for hundreds of day and weekend trips around Vancouver and British Columbia, Canada. For families and photographers British Columbia has something to offer everyone. Stop awhile and savor what Mother Nature has in store for you.
You will never be disappointed.

~~Karen Cooper~~

BC, Rain and Waterfalls

Friday, June 8, 2007

Lake Atitlan, Solola, Guatemala



I know this is a blog on Vancouver. My creative dry spell made me hop on a plane for parts of the world I have not seen or experienced yet. Well, life just keeps taking all of these interesting twists and turns, and finally I just accept holding on the for ride and not trying to change things.

This is an incredible part of the world on a lake called Atitlan.

Solola is the "department" that Lake Atitlan is located in. A department is like our Canadian provinces.

I haven't gotten to see all the villages yet. Most are from the Mayan days. Amazing culture that I'm still taking in. You have to leave your North American senses behind and just let all of this slowly seep into your pours ... some people come here and never leave. I am having a hard time putting all of this into words -- so for now I will let the camera make up for that.

With all this raw nature, I think the creative dry spell might be getting some rain.

3 comments:

Susannah Anderson said...

Great fun!

I remember driving through Guatemala; a fascinating people, following their own path. One thing I noticed, driving late in the evening down the main highway (never got up to the lake) was how the families walked along the shoulder, in single file: father, mother, children in a descending line, to the tiniest toddler tagging along behind. Our habit has always been the opposite, with the kids in front so as to keep an eye on them.

I was sorry that I couldn't stay longer. I'll be looking forward to your photos and notes.

Anonymous said...

Wlecome to Lake Atitlan.

Anonymous said...

It looks beautiful! Looking forward to more photos. Enjoy the "rain"!