My Boots n Me is your inspirational source for hundreds of day and weekend trips around Vancouver and British Columbia, Canada. For families and photographers British Columbia has something to offer everyone. Stop awhile and savor what Mother Nature has in store for you.
You will never be disappointed.

~~Karen Cooper~~

BC, Rain and Waterfalls

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Daguerrotype Photography


The daguerrotype is an early (mid 1800's) form of photography. It was a fairly complex way of imaging using polished silver plates and all kinds of interesting chemicals.

Must have taken ages to get even one usable shot, and then you could only have one copy. So the photographer had to get it right the first time. Of course this way of photography has seen bygone days, but some of the antique daguerreotypes are now worth a small fortune.

And some people are still making modern daguerreotypes today. I have to give them credit for keeping alive a type of imaging that brings with it a sense of romance and history.

For me, I'll stick to my trusty digital camera and let the post processing programs give me the daguerreotype effect. A lot less time and much more "throw away" images if I don't get it exactly right the first time around. And lets me play with some of my photos of old lamp posts from Granada, Nicaragua.

1 comments:

S-V-H said...

Very nice Karin! It makes the new-old lamps look really old.

My Sunday post was very similar to yours here.:-)